Wednesday 5 September 2012

Hardanger Finish!

A while ago I decided to try my skills at hardanger, an embroidery technique that involves leaving cut out squares. In my previous post Stitches past, I mentioned that I was busy working on Purple Delight, a kit which my sister gave me for Christmas last year. Having spend a lot of time designing and making jewellery and accessories for my Etsy Shop, I haven't had much time to fit in my own personal projects, but I am very pleased to announce the completion of one of them! What do you think?


It was nice learning new stitches as my experience is mostly with cross stitch and back stitch, but this piece encompassed embroidery techniques, such as the tulip, along with new stitches such as the Algerian eye and spider stitch. I really enjoyed working on this, and I love how the bead detail adds a touch of shine.


It was, however, fairly fiddly to cut out the even weave threads having completed the panel stitching around it. it would probably have been easier if I'd bought special hardanger scissors, rather than struggling and persevering with my embroidery scissors, but I am pleased with the effect overall.


The fabric I used was 22 count (stitches per inch) even weave, and this was the first time I stitched onto anything that wasn't Aida. As the cross stitches are over 2 threads it equates to an 11count Aida(the smallest I've worked on to date is 18count Aida). It has given me a strong desire to try a cross stitch piece on an even smaller count, and I'm currently considering whether to buy another kit or convert a photograph/picture to make my own chart.

The threads were also DMC Perle threads, rather than embroidery floss. They were thicker and spun in a way more similar to wool, although they were as smooth as embroidery floss. I really enjoyed working with new materials, stitches, and techniques. It has defiantly inspired me try out more new things!

Happy Stitching

You might also like
3D Cross Stitch
Friday Finds: Sunflowers
Stumpwork Fancies
Project Tutorial: Embroidered Mothers Day Card
Apologies and Monochrome Projects






7 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I have wanted to try Hardanger for a while as it is so pretty but very nervous as I've never done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I was a bit nervous too but the instructions were really good, there was lots of clear instructions, an easy to follow chart and instructions for indivual stitches, such as the tulip and spiderweb stitch. My sister bought me the chart from www.sewandso.com and the evenweave threads and beads seperately from there too. It was a classic embroidery chart, and I would reccomend them!

    Good Luck!

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. would you share this pattern thanks donna


    Scottdonna@cableone.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pattern was from a chart my sister gave me, so I can't share the pattern. However, the chart i got was from sewandso, here's the link http://sewandso.co.uk/Products/Purple-Delight-Hardanger-Chart-Pack__LLD-B4.aspx

    They make it easy for you to buy all of required threads and fabric too.

    Good luck stitching it. I will have to try another one at some point!

    Gemma
    (You Sew Should)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorei seu hardanger. muito bonito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work you should be really proud of a great finish. If you plan on doing more then hardanger scissors or even squissors which I use (a cross between scissor and tweezers) are so much easier to snip the threads with :)

    Just one thing 22 count evenweave fabric equates to 11 count aida if you stitch over 2, this can make a huge difference if you are planning on framing stuff within something that has fixed measurements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will definitely get some proper hardanger scissors if/ when I do more, I imagine it will save me a fair amount of time! Sadly it is still sitting finished and unframed in a draw. I really need to change that soon...

      Thanks for picking up on my mistake, I feel a bit daft having made such a rookie error, and I have now corrected it.

      Gemma

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma