Wednesday 15 February 2012

Pendant Experiments...

I've been stitching away slowly for about a year now on various little projects. I soon learnt how to make my cross stitch earrings, which you can see here which quickly led onto rings and hairclips. I love making them, even though it's a bit fiddly, there is a great sense of satisfaction when a new pair of earrings has been completed, or even an earring and ring set. However, jewellery shouldn't stop there. For a while now I have wanted to try to make dangly earrings and pendants. While I have yet to trial any earrings, I have made some experimental cross stitch necklaces that I'm proud of.
 
Red Heart Cross Stitch Pendant
This vibrant red heart necklace is bold, bright and beautiful, and attempt no. 1. I used a metal 'button'. My hand stitched design was then stretched over the metal frame and secured at the back with the reverse, which popped into place. It's still pretty fiddly, and needs a bit more strength to make than my other jewellery, but the larger area means I can create more interesting, intricate designs.
Pink Butterfly Cross Stitch Pendant
This pink butterfly heart necklace was attempt no. 2. I love the 3d affect the memory thread has, it makes the antenna much bolder! I am pleased with how these have both worked, however there is a small problem. The silver plated chain has been threaded through a metal 'button loop' at the back, which is in the middle of the pendant. Unfortunately this gives them a tendency to lean forward when worn. Time for another technique...

Flower & Butterfly Cross Stitch Pendant
This time I stitched a design that would fill the blank pendant finding. I have not only used cross stitch, but also lazy daisy stitch for the flowers and long stitch for the grass. I then very carefully cut the even weave fabric to the size of the pendant back before carefully gluing it in place with a clear drying glue. This flower and butterfly embroidered necklace hangs perfectly when worn. I have even tried a circular smiley necklace and added seed bead detail.
Smiley Cross Stitch Pendant
This time I have filled in the background with a half stitch, using variegated DMC thread. I love the effect this has of making the smiley even bolder. My mum suggested I try filling in the background, and I'm glad I did. Thanks mum!

If you are interested in buying any of these, or my other cross stitch jewellery please see my shop now tab on facebook, or alternatively check out my photos and contact me at yousewshould@gmail.com I also do custom orders if you have anything specific in mind. For now however, all I need to do is wait patiently for more jewellery supplies to arrive so I can make some more pendants and try out brooches using the same techniques! I'll keep you posted!
 
Happy Stitching!
 
You might also like
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. where do you get your pendants and ring from to start stitching???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just searched for ring blannks and pendant blanks on ebay! There's loads to choose from, in all sorts of sizes, colours, and frames! It's also where I go the pendant chains from.

      Gemma

      You Sew Should

      Delete
    2. thankyou.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma