Wednesday 13 February 2013

Stitch Inspiration

As part of my birthday present from my parents I was given the Encyclopaedia of Stitches, by Karen Hemingway. For the last week or so it has been my 'breakfast reading' and is opening up a world of inspiration to me.




It is divided into several section, detailing the stitches used for certain types of embroidery. It begins as you would expect, with an introduction covering general information, before detailing several embroidery stitches. each section culminates in a project to help you learn the said stitches. While I want to learn the different stitches and techniques, (it includes bead work, shashia and shadow work) I like creating my own projects. However this book is excellent for project ideas and for inspiration. The pictures are fantastic with diagrams of how to create each stitch, and a photograph of the completed one. (sorry for the lack of photos from the book, my camera is no longer working).

It is definitely a book I would recommend to someone who wants to try different types of embroidery, I'm definitely going to take away new stitches and ideas and incorporate them into new projects, and hopefully tutorials. With a new laptop coming to replace my broken home computer, I just need to get a camera and find some time, and then I'll be well away!

Happy Stitching!



You might also like
Stitch Tutorial: Rose Stitch
Hardanger Finish: Purple Delight
Friday Finds: Science Geekery
Stumpwork Fancies
Apologies and Monochrome Projects

2 comments:

  1. wow, hope you don't get distracted and forget to eat your breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It is a really good book, I've browsed it all now but I'm using one of the new stitches from it in my Mothersday card tutorial, which will be posted later this week (hopefully)

      Gemma

      (You Sew Should)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma