Tuesday 13 November 2012

Cupcake Decorating!

I spent my Saturday afternoon in a lady's conservatory learning a few techniques about how to decorate cupcakes in a vintage style with a couple of friends.All cupcakes, icing and tools were provided, so it was a lovely way of learning some new techniques! She does other cupcake decorating classes too, check out her website for more information.
 
At the end of the class, we got to take our beautifully decorated cupcakes home, and I have to say, they taste as good as they look! (although I didn't want to eat them at first as they look so good!)
 
First up was the bow. When we made the 'trousers' (the tails that hang down) we were a little dubious. Firstly it was really hard to get a straight edge or make it even (practise, practise, practise...) but as the bow came together and we dotted the top it looked lovely. What do you think?
 

 
 
Next up was the cupcake above with the ball on top (or nipple, according to one of our friends). This was the only cupcake that looked good without the top being cut off to make if flat, as the lines drew your eye to the top.
 
 
 

 
The third cupcake was flowers. I struggled with this the most, despite having cutters to cut the flower. It was the ball rolling to shape the petals. (I managed 1 1/2 flowers in the time my friends made 3 and 3 1/2!) However, I definitely want to practise this technique more as Its one of the prettiest and most delicate looking cupcake decoration. The fourth technique was creating a cameo, and this was the easiest as the sugar paste was pushed into a mold. The flower molds proved by far the post popular, and I love the contrast between the colours and the pearl effect from the piped icing that frames it.
 
 
 
The fifth technique was a brushing technique, we used flower cutters as an outline to then ice and brush towards the centre to create a 'feathered' effect. Our teacher found this very therapeutic, but we weren't so sure. It looks nice but I enjoyed making some of the others more, however, I also think it would look better if the colours were more contrasting. The sixth one was for us to do as we wanted, so I chose another Cameo, this time adorned with a few little flowers.
 
 
The cupcakes were all given to us in a lovely cupcake box. Which is your favourite? 
 



Happy Decorating!


You might also like
Friday Finds: Christmas Food
All A Flutter: Butterflies
Tardis Key ring Kit
Moulin Rouge on Etsy
Friday Finds: Vintage Pin Up Girl





2 comments:

  1. Wow these all look great. I have been meaning to try cake decorating for ages. I have books, mags, tools everything just not the guts :)
    Well done you I can't say which is my fav they all are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!

      it definately helped going to a class and being shown how to do it, there's bound to be one near you! Otherwise there's probably loads of tutorials and videos on Utube. Make sure you've got plenty of time to do it though as it's pretty time consuming! Good luck!

      Gemma

      (You Sew Should)

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I moderate all comments to avoid spam, so your comment won't appear until I've published it.

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon

Gemma